David’s Contact Information
- Practice Concentrations:
- Bar Admissions:
- Court Admissions:
- Awards & Honors:
- Legal Authorship:
David Givens has been practicing law for more than 21 years, concentrating on wide-ranging civil litigation – specifically medical malpractice, legal malpractice, breach of contract, product and commercial litigation, employment law, domestic law, medical staff credentialing and defamation matters.
David has significant trial experience and has tried breach of contract, automobile liability, civil rights, defamation, premises liability and multiple medical malpractice claims to verdict. He has represented healthcare defendants at trial in infant death cases, neonatal brain damage cases, and other claims asserting wrongful death. In addition, he has handled complex commercial litigation matters in state and federal courts and has represented employers in administrative claims before the United States Department of Labor and in binding arbitration.
David served on the Board of Governors for the Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia from 1999 to 2005. In 2005, he assumed the managing member position of Flaherty’s Wheeling office. In 2008, he served as a court-appointed “McKenzie Friend” in a complex lands trust act case in Southampton, Great Britain. In 2009, David represented West Virginia’s largest hospital in appeals before the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court of the United States which raised important issues regarding the proper application of the civil immunity provisions of the Health Care Quality Improvement Act.
- Medical Malpractice
- Commercial Liability
- Products Liability
- Employment Law and Workplace Liability
- J.D., West Virginia University College of Law (1993)
- B.A., Philosophy, Psychology & English, Lynchburg College, Virginia (1990)
- West Virginia
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals
- United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- Supreme Court of Ohio
Awards & Honors:
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America©, 2010 to Present