Tim’s Contact Information
- Practice Areas
- Bar Admissions
- Court Admissions
- Representative Legal Work
- Professional Involvement
- Community Involvement
- Awards & Honors
- Teaching & Lecturing
- Written Work
Tim Mayo brings more than 25 years’ experience to the firm and focuses his practice on employment law and civil rights. His experience extends to commercial litigation, product litigation, and general insurance defense work. He regularly represents clients in both state and federal courts, the West Virginia Human Rights Commission and the federal EEOC.
“I believe in listening to my clients and providing practical business advice and guidance – to serve them immediately and in future situations to achieve the results they desire.”
Tim has represented business clients involving companies from Germany, Brazil and the UK. In addition to employment advice, he hosts in-house seminars, providing a full range of business-focused advice from premises litigation to employment liability. He has been involved in numerous wrongful death and catastrophic personal injury suits.
Outside the office, Tim is an avid runner who can add a 100-mile race to his list of accomplishments. He’s finished races in all fifty states and enjoys half-marathons, marathons, and ultra-marathons. Tim also loves spending time with his wife and three children who also love running. In addition, he’s been teaching Business Law and Sports Law at the University of Charleston for eighteen years.
- Employment Law
- Commercial/General Litigation
- Civil Rights Litigation
- Municipal Liability
- Products Liability
- Premises Defense
- Vehicular Negligence
- M.A., History, Marshall University (2011)
- J.D., T.C. Williams School of Law, University of Richmond (1991)
- Cambridge University, Emmanuel College, Cambridge, England (1989)
- B.A., cum laude, History, Hampden-Sydney College (1988)
- West Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of West Virginia
- West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals
- Supreme Court of Virginia
Representative Legal Work
- Represented numerous employers in cases involving wrongful discharge and sexual harassment.
- Represented employers accused of discrimination before the WV Human Rights Commission.
- Represented employers before the federal EEOC.
- Represented numerous municipalities in employment litigation.
- Represented numerous law enforcement agencies in civil rights litigation.
- Represented municipalities in civil service commission proceedings.
- Represented numerous physicians in medical malpractice actions alleging a variety of damages including wrongful death.
- Represented numerous real estate agents and brokers regarding fraud, breach of contract and negligence claims.
- Represented numerous motor vehicle operators alleged to have operated vehicles in a negligent manner.
- Represented manufacturers and retailers in products liability and construction litigation cases.
- Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia
- Former Chair – Employment Law Committee
- Legislative Law Liaison
- American Bar Association
- Member of the Business Advisory Committee in the School of Business and Leadership at the University of Charleston
- 2013 Intercollegiate Tennis Association – Assistant Coach of the Year (2013)
- University of Charleston, NCAA Division II, Men’s ITA Atlantic Region
- Fitness Coach, University of Charleston Men’s Tennis Team
- Former Fitness Coach, University of Charleston Women’s Tennis Team
- Participates as a foster family for Dog Bless, an animal rescue advocacy group
- Habitat for Humanity Volunteer
- Former Assistant Coach, University of Charleston Men’s Soccer Team
- University of Charleston, Advisor for SIFE (Students In Free Enterprise)
- West Virginia Amateur Soccer League Board of Directors
- Society of Human Resource Management Member
- Secret Santa Foundation, former Board of Directors
- Kanawha Southern Soccer Referees Association – Former President
- West Virginia Amateur Soccer League, Disciplinary Committee Member
Awards & Honors
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America©
- Employment Law – Management (2016 – 2021)
- Listed, West Virginia Super Lawyers (2012 – 2021)
Teaching & Lecturing
- Workplace Discrimination of LGBTQ Individuals, Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia (2017)
- Update on the New Amendments to the West Virginia Rules of Professional Conduct and Other Legal Issues, West Virginia State Bar Annual Litigation Seminar (2016)
- Employment Hot Topics in West Virginia, The West Virginia College and University Professional Association for Human Resources (2015)
- Transgender Rights in the US and WV, New River Community and Technical College (2015)
- Transgender Issues Confronting Colleges and Universities, College and University Professional Association of Human Resources in Charleston, West Virginia (2013)
- University of Charleston, Legal Issues Confronting Human Resource Management (2012)
- The United States Judicial System & DUI Laws, University of Vila Velha in Espirito Santo, Brazil (2011)
- Adjunct Professor, Business Law, University of Charleston, West Virginia (1999 – present)
- West Virginia Legal Assisting Fundamentals, Half Moon, LLC (2007)
- How to Successfully Resolve Automobile Injuries in WV (2005)
- The Automobile Injury Case for Paralegals in West Virginia (2003)
- Ethics, West Virginia Paralegal Association Annual Meeting (2003)
- Damages in Civil Trial Practice, National Business Institute (2002)
- Civil Procedure for Paralegals, West Virginia Paralegal Association (2002)
- Instructor, Paralegal Studies, University of Charleston, West Virginia (2000 – 2001)
- Nurse Anesthetists’ Liability, Camcare Health Education and Research Institute, CAMC School of Nurse Anesthesia (1999)
- Instructor, Estate Planning, Civil Procedure and Criminal Procedure, Southern West Virginia Community College (1997 – 1999)
- Instructor, Business Law, Marshall University College of Graduate Studies (1997)
- Defense of Insurance Companies, West Virginia University Continuing Legal Education Seminar (1996)
- Subcontractor Liability, National Electrical Contractors Association, West Virginia Chapter (1992)
- “Anticipated Labor Regulations May Cause Issues for Employers,” The State Journal (October 30, 2015)
- Underinsured Coverage, Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia Notebook (1995)
- Update and Review of Mandolidis Law, Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia Notebook (1994)
- Effective Pleadings and Motions (1994)
- Jury Selection (1994)
- Litigation Techniques and Strategies (1994)
- Civil Trial Practice and Procedure, Seminar Notebook (1994)