Ryan’s Contact Information
- Court Admissions
- Representative Legal Work
- Reported Cases
- Professional Involvement
- Awards & Honors
- Teaching & Lecturing
Ryan Brown has a more than a decade of experience in the area of Health Care Law, specifically defending nursing homes, hospitals, assisted living facilities and physicians in medical malpractice lawsuits.
“Rock solid knowledge of every minute fact in the case and the ability to predict where the case will be two moves from now” are just two elements that keep Ryan – and more importantly – his clients on the top of their game.
In addition to defending medical malpractice cases and counseling his clients on regulatory and compliance issues, Ryan regularly defends healthcare providers involved in disciplinary proceedings before state licensing boards. His passion for defending healthcare providers against professional licensing complaints due to unjust allegations drive him every day to achieve positive results.
Outside of practicing law, Ryan enjoys hiking with his two dogs, kayaking and appreciating the natural beauty of the Mountain State.
- J.D., West Virginia University College of Law (2005)
- M.S., Criminal Justice, Eastern Kentucky University (2000)
- B.S., Criminal Justice, Fairmont State University (1998)
- West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals
- United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- United States District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
Representative Legal Work
- Represented an OBGYN where plaintiff alleged that she was not properly informed of the risks and alternatives to a total abdominal hysterectomy. Stanley v. Chevathanarat, 222 W.Va. 261, 664 S.E.2d 146 (2008).
- Represented a general surgeon where plaintiff alleged that the general surgeon’s decision to remove the patient’s gallbladder activated a virus that led to the patient’s death.
- Represented a hospital where former patient alleged that his mental health records were disclosed without his approval.
- Represented an insurance company which challenged a rate increase request by a hospital in front of the West Virginia Health Care Authority.
- Represented a physician and physician’s assistant in response to a patient complaint made to the West Virginia Board of Osteopathy.
- Represented a dentist in response to an investigation by the West Virginia Board of Dental Examiners.
- Represented a national home health care provider in the acquisitions of several West Virginia home health agencies.
- Represented a hospital in employment discrimination and West Virginia Patient Safety Act claims made by former employees.
- Represented numerous nursing homes against Medical Professional Liability Act and West Virginia Nursing Home Act claims.
- Advised nursing homes regarding the applicability of arbitration agreements in long-term care settings.
- Represented a nursing home in an arbitration forum where plaintiff alleged she developed decubitus ulcers.
- Represented a long-term acute care hospital where the plaintiff alleged that the hospital failed to timely diagnose and treat the patient.
- Represented a hospital and nurse in a medical malpractice action where plaintiff claimed he fell out of his hospital bed and fractured his shoulder.
- Represented hospital administration in a medical malpractice action where plaintiff was asking the court to order hospital administration and treating physician to prescribe medication to plaintiff.
- Represented physician and physician’s assistant in a medical malpractice action where plaintiff alleged that the physicians assistant perforated the plaintiff’s left tympanic membrane.
- Represented employer in a deliberate intent case where plaintiff claimed she sustained injuries resulting from a fall at work.
- Represented a natural gas company in a property damage claim where plaintiffs claimed that a natural gas pipeline caused a stream to overflow and flood plaintiff’s property.
- Represented plaintiffs in a contract dispute where defendant failed to repay a loan for college tuition.
- Stanley v. Chevathanarat, 664 S.E.2d 146 (2008)
- Brown v. Genesis Healthcare Corp., 724 S.E.2d 250 (W. Va. 2011)
- Brown v. Genesis Healthcare Corp., S.E.2d 217 (W. Va. 2012)
- State Ex Rel. AMFM, LLC v. King, ___ S.E.2d ___ (W.Va. 2013)
- Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia
- Defense Research Institute
Awards & Honors
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award: Workers Compensation, West Virginia University College of Law.
- Alpha Phi Sigma
Teaching & Lecturing
- Adjunct Professor, Internet Criminal Activity, Fairmont State University (2002)
- From Pinstripes to Jail Stripes: Using Prison Inmate Date to Challenge Stereotypes of the White-Collar Crime Offender, Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences (2002)
- The Nature and the Problem and the Statistics Relating to Identity Theft, American Society of Criminology (2001)