Elizabeth’s Contact Information
- Practice Concentrations
- Court Admissions
- Representative Legal Work & Trial Experience
- Reported Cases:
- Slip Opinions/Unpublished Cases
- Professional Involvement
- Community Involvement
- Awards & Honors
- Written Work
- Legal Experience
Elizabeth L. Taylor knew she wanted to be an attorney since she was five. With Flaherty for more than 10 years, Elizabeth’s practice centers on product litigation and general litigation. Specifically, she works on the defense of drug and medical device manufacturers and automotive and industrial equipment manufacturers in serious personal injury and wrongful death cases. Elizabeth has unique experiences in representing product manufacturers in large-scale litigation in West Virginia’s state and federal courts. She has served as a senior in-firm coordinator for Flaherty’s role as liaison counsel for a manufacturer of medical devices involved in over 20,000 cases in seven Federal MDLs. She has also managed and defended cases for the manufacturer of personal protective equipment in products liability mass litigation cases in West Virginia. In addition, Elizabeth has appeared before the West Virginia Mass Litigation Panel and has experience in all phases of litigation, from pre-litigation assessments on through trials and appeals.
Elizabeth is organized, responsive and sees things through to completion. She’s a smart strategist with a keen eye for detail. “Every client is different and you need to listen to them closely in order to devise the best and most efficient and effective method to accomplish their goals.”
Outside of the courtroom, Elizabeth co-chairs Flaherty’s recruiting committee and participates in several local organizations, including serving on the board of the Appalachian Reading Center and volunteering as a scholarship reviewer for the Greater Kanawha Valley Foundation; and enjoys spending time with her husband and young children.
- Products Liability
- Automotive Warranty Litigation
- Premises Liability
- Complex Mass Tort and Class Action Litigation
- Commercial and Business Litigation
- General Litigation
- J.D., West Virginia University College of Law (2006)
- B.A., History, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (2003)
- West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals
- United States District Court, Northern District of West Virginia
- United States District Court, Southern District of West Virginia
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
Representative Legal Work & Trial Experience
- Served as senior, in-firm coordinator for the firm’s role as liaison counsel for the manufacturer of medical devices involved in multiple Federal Multi-District Litigations, which included coordinating and managing over 20,000 cases and assisting with preparations for consolidated trial.
- Participated on in-court trial team for automotive manufacturer, defending against allegations of a defective occupant restraint system and specifically, a defective airbag cover that plaintiff claimed caused third-degree burns to her face.
- Successfully defended automobile manufacture, resulting in a voluntary dismissal from plaintiff in a wrongful death failure to deploy airbag defect case where the passenger airbag deployed, but the driver airbag did not deploy in an unbelted, head on collision.
- Defended and obtained Court ordered dismissal of automobile manufacturer against allegations of a defective supplemental restraint system that plaintiff alleged resulted in a L-2 compression fracture.
- Negotiated favorable settlement in a half million dollar subrogation fire case related to allegations of alleged negligence in the servicing of a waste oil heater.
- Vigorously defended and obtained successful settlement for automobile manufacturer against allegations of defective seatbelt and airbags that resulted in a fractured T-12 injury.
- Represented commercial vehicle manufacturer in triple wrongful death action involving flammability and product defect allegations.
- Represented a national manufacturer of respiratory protection equipment in multiple products liability mass litigation cases.
- Represented clothing distributor and obtained favorable settlement in personal injury lawsuit involving allegations of flammability defect in a skirt that plaintiff alleged resulted in burns to over 60% of her body.
- Represented the manufacturer of chemicals before the West Virginia Mass Litigation Panel on a third-party claim whereby all manufacturing defendants received voluntary dismissal of all claims against them. Represented same manufacturer in corresponding class action in West Virginia state court, where the manufacturing defendants received summary judgment.
- Successfully defended engineering firm against allegations of professional negligence in personal injury and property damage claims involving dozens of plaintiffs.
- Obtained successful settlement for engineering firm for allegations related to surveyor’s professional negligence in connection with boundary survey. performed in conjunction with the sale and acquisition of commercial property.
- Represented distributor of garbage truck rear loaders in personal injury action.
- Represented a national retail home improvement store in multiple premises liability claims.
- Represented an automotive manufacturer in a personal injury case arising from an alleged defect in the acceleration/ throttle cable.
- Represented a heating and air conditioning manufacturer in a wrongful death case arising from alleged defects in an industrial HVAC unit.
- Represented a transmission and transaxle manufacturer in a personal injury case involving brake and transaxle design in a lawn tractor.
- Represented a fabrication and construction company in personal injury litigation.
- Represented a rental car company in a personal injury lawsuit.
- Represented an automotive manufacturer in multiple property damage and subrogation claims relating to an allegedly defective speed control deactivation switch.
- Mercier, et al, v. Don L. Blankenship, et al., 662 F. Supp 2d 562 (S.D.W.Va. 2009)
- Wolfe, et al. v. National Medical Care, Inc. d/b/a Fresenius Medicare Care North, 616 F. Supp. 2d 596 (S.D.W.Va. 2009), affirmed in part, set aside in part
- Noland v. Virginia Insurance Reciprocal and the Reciprocal Group, Inc., et al., 224 W.Va. 372, 686 S.E.2d 23 (2009)
Slip Opinions/Unpublished Cases
- Ronald Lane, Inc., et al. v. Antero Resources Appalachian Corporation, et al., 2001 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 80550 (N.D.W.Va. July 25, 2011)
- Layton v. Ford Motor Company, et al., 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 8687 (S.D.W.Va. Jan. 28, 2011)
- Commercial Steam Cleaning, L.L. C., et al. v. Ford Motor Company, et al., 2010 U.S. Disc. LEXIS 41372 (S.D.W.Va. Apr. 27, 2010)
- Wolfe, et al. v. National Medical Care, Inc. d/b/a Fresenius Medicare Care North, 2009 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 51612 (S.D.W.Va. June 17, 2009)
- Curran v. Amazon.com, Inc., et al., 2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 12479 (S.D.W.Va. Feb. 19, 2008)
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC)
- WV State Membership Chair
- Kanawha County Bar Association (Asst. Treasurer, 2012 – 2015)
- Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia
- Defense Research Institute
- Board Member, The Appalachian Reading Center, Inc. (2012 – present)
- Scholarship Reviewer, The Greater Kanawha Valley Foundation (2008 – present)
- Junior League of Charleston (Board Member, 2010 – 2012; Active Member, 2007 – 2015; Sustaining Member, 2015 – present)
- Kappa Kappa Gamma Alumni Association
Awards & Honors
- AV Preeminent® Peer-Review Rated by Martindale-Hubble®
- Listed, West Virginia Rising Stars (2013 – Present)
- National Moot Court Team, West Virginia University College of Law
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award: Post Modern Jurisprudence, West Virginia University College of Law
- President, Democratic Law Caucus, West Virginia University College of Law
- President, West Virginia Fund for Law in the Public Interest, Inc., West Virginia University College of Law
- Dean’s List, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- The Scoop on the FDA’s Updated Approach to the Dietary Supplement Market, IADC Drug, Device and Biotechnology Committee Newsletter May 2019
- Impact of W.Va. Code _ 55-7-24 on Settlement and Litigation Strategies from the Defense Perspective, Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia Fall 2007 Newsletter
- Transvaginal Mesh Litigation – Creating a “New” Bellwether Process, Defense Research Institute Newsletter (2014)
- Flaherty Sensabaugh Bonasso (2006 – Present)
- Summer Associate, Flaherty Sensabaugh Bonasso (2005)
- Summer Law Clerk, Legal Aid of West Virginia (2004)